Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Musings

TO START WITH.....(AN INTRODUCTION & DISCLAIMER)

I’ve always made fun of people who started a blog. I thought it was a ridiculous, self-indulgent pastime for bookish types with too many opinions and too much time on their hands.

I was right.

I’m starting one anyway though, simply because I realize I have a lot more to say than I thought I did. I planned on writing a book of essays someday, but that takes the kind of committment and dedication that I just don’t have - hence this blog.

I’ve been reading assorted blogs for a few weeks, and I find it interesting. I have been inspired to write what I feel like saying, without worrying who likes it and who doesn’t. And I’ve also been reminded that there are more pressing matters at hand in the world than Paris Hilton and the Beckhams. And there is importance in so many issues that don’t make it to TV. And, lastly, not everyone wants to talk about the same things as everyone else….sometimes not even your husbands or friends are interested in certain subjects that you could go on about for days. So I figured I’d spill my guts in a blog. That way I can spare my family of my endless ranting, while still amusing and infuriating those who enjoy it.

I should probably tell you, I’m not an expert, I just pretend to be. I am educated, but I don’t have the credentials to make my opinion terribly valuable at the top. Luckily for me, I’m not interested in what scholars think of my opinion -my goal is to spark a few conversations and blow off some steam.

Another thing you might want clarified…..I’m not affiliated with any political party, and I like the thought of voting for leaders and ideas, as opposed to parties. I am very liberal when it comes to some issues, and very conservative when it comes to others.

I won’t apologize for anything I say here. If you don’t like it, you can go back to Facebook or YouTube or whatever you absorb yourself in. I won’t begin a philosophical discussion or political commentary every time I post - sometimes I’ll be complaining about what happened on Big Brother 8 or wondering what rehab facility is now housing Lindsey Lohan. So read if you choose - but don’t complain, since the mouse is in your hand.

No comments: