Wednesday, August 15, 2007

"IF I did it, which I didn't, this is how I WOULD have done it"

I was watching "The Today Show" this morning, and they had an interview with the new publisher of the O.J. Simpson book "If I Did It". Apparently the book, who's publication had been cancelled, has found a new promoter and is set for release in the coming months.

I had briefly heard about this book before, but only today did I look it up online. After it's original printing, copies were leaked online and those interested could read it, download it, or print it. I skimmed through it, paying most of my attention to the "damning" Chapter 6, called "The Night in Question". The book, an account of Simpson's relationship with his wife Nicole, as well as a description of how he would have committed the murders (which his disclaimer states he did not), reads like a confession.

My question is: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? Is this guy for real? He swears up and down that he did not kill anyone. He has been running around to media outlets for years proclaiming his innocence. So then he writes a book describing how he WOULD have committed the murders? Are you serious?

So let's say my neighbor's house burned to the ground and I had been accused. After screaming for years that I didn't do it, is it wise of me to further damage my reputation and tell everyone, in the first person, how I would have done it? Let's see, "I sneaked across their yard with a can of kerosene, lit a match, and ran. I knew I would never be caught, so I laughed as I fled the scene." Would that be smart for me to put on paper?

Words escape me as I try to describe the logic behind the writing of this book. In my opinion, most people think that O.J Simpson got away with murder; that he killed those two people, got great lawyers who played on the prosecution's mistakes, got lucky with a bunch of technicalities, and strutted out of the courtroom a free man. So the majority of readers will be shaking their heads, wondering how he could so obviously rub his guilt in the faces of the victim's families, the courts, and the general public....that's what I was doing as I read it, shaking my head.

What would have possessed him to write this? Is it mental illness? Cockiness? Stupidity? Attention-seeking? You would think a guy like O.J. would want to live out the rest of his life fading into the background, but apparently not. If you get a chance to skim through it, ask yourself if it's a book of fiction, as it claims to be, or the boasting of a murderer, eager to embrace his undeserved freedom but still craving the glory and acknnowledgement of having gotten away with two brutal, highly-publicized killings.

I really don't know what to think, except that O.J. Simpson has clearly lost it. Ridiculous book.

No comments: