Wednesday, May 7, 2008

In With the New

Welcome, everyone, to what is hopefully the last installment of "beating a dead horse." I hate to dwell on the negative, but this issue is like the 600lb gorilla in the quad counties. I'm talking, of course, about the strait regional school board.

The Minister of Education stripped the board of the power to handle matters of finance and human resources. In a much publicized meeting, Karen Casey laid down the law and appointed third parties to grab the reins in those departments, and with good reason; the SRSB has proven time and time again that personal agendas take precedence over problem resolution, and someone had to step in to protect the interests of students. I applaud her for that, as I'm sure she felt considerable pressure to "let sleeping dogs lie." Many were calling for the entire board to be dissolved, but, in a move that surely relied on faith that the board functioning would improve, she gave them yet another chance.

Though everyone thought there was nowhere to go but up, somehow the situation with the board still hasn't shown much improvement. Opening this newspaper on any given week is proof. For every article about events in the area, there seem to be five articles about the latest conflict within the school board.

The most recent example deals with a board member from the Inverness area. This member, whose name appears frequently in the kind of articles I'm talking about, at the last board meeting, made it known that she was boycotting the Annual General Meeting of the Nova Scotia School Boards Association. This proclamation wasn't just made in passing; she pointedly called for the record to show that she was boycotting the event. Her reason was that the NSSBA did not support or stand up for our board during the Minister's dose of "tough love". And I quote, "There was nothing (in the NSSBA's press release) to say that the minister shouldn't do this to elected people. They let me down."

If I may, a few things. Well, more than a few, actually.

First of all, nowhere was it reported that this board member had been asked to represent the SRSB at this meeting to begin with. From what I deduce, more suitable candidates could certainly be found.

Secondly, boo-hoo. I'd be willing to bet that the big wigs at the NSSBA aren't losing too much sleep because they "let down" this member. In my opinion, it's a classic case of the pot calling the kettle black.. Members of the SRSB let everyone down, including the NSSBA, when they allowed their behavior to escalate to such a degree that it required the intervention of the Education Minister. I hope no one expected any association to go to bat for them, all things considered.

The method of denunciation is what stands out the most, however. I have never watched soap operas, but I can't imagine even Days of Our Lives having as dramatic a cast of characters as we have on our school board. If ever there was a mountain made out of a molehill, this is it. Complain to your mom, your friends, other board members; hold a grudge, whatever. But to officially go on record boycotting a meeting? Put down your crown and scepter for a moment and consider if all the hoopla and press is necessary in making your moot point.

Many people have asked me why I care so much about this issue, and the answer is simple. I have a son in elementary school. I do what I can to help him and support him and make sure he gets the best education possible, as does every other parent with school-aged children. And we do it with no compensation. Far be it from me to tell people how to do their job, except when, not only is the job obviously not being done, but when the results affect me (and on top of it all, when this person's salary is coming out of my own pocket). Seldom do I read about productive strides being made within the school board which will benefit our schools or our children. Most overwhelmingly, I'm forced to hear about counterproductive behavior that is not only embarrassing to this region, but detrimental to everyone involved.

But on perhaps a more positive note, the member I speak of has said she will not seek her seat in the next election. To that, I say good riddance. Out with the old and in with the new. And all we can hope is that the new will bring to the table the kind of priorities, behaviors, and goals that the rest of us share. Our kids deserve it, and parents will be charged with electing people who will ensure it.

No comments: