Thursday, May 15, 2008

American Idol - Goodbye Syesha!

Thank god! Syesha needed to go. It's been the David vs. David show for a long time anyway, so I'm glad we've thinned the rest of the herd.

The top 3 performance night wasn't great as far as I'm concerned, and the Davids better get their asses in gear for next week. "And So It Goes" was pretty good, but when Archuleta sang "With You" by Chris Brown, it made me uncomfortable to watch him dance around (plus he forgot half the words and just barely covered it up). I don't even remember what the final song was for him.
Even Cook wasn't his usual stellar self Tuesday night. The Roberta Flack song that Simon chose for him sounded pretty good, but the second song wasn't very good. It's a hard song to sing anyway, and on top of it he was sharp in a lot of places. The Aerosmith song he did at the end was OK too, but meh, not memorable like some of his others. I wonder if these guys realized they were singing for their survival? Cause it sure didn't seem like they cared too much.

WTF was that black & fuschia creature that crawled out of the night and invaded the AI stage? I heard someone say it was Fantasia. I know I'm not a model, but my god, THAT is a hard looking woman. The hair, the outfit, the dancing, the shrieking, the braces....the look on Simon's face was priceless, he didn't know what to do. I was completely repulsed. All she needed was a cape, and she could have been the female version of James Brown. Highlight of the night.

Next week is the finale, and the Davids will (at least I think), in addition to singing whatever shiteous song is the Season 7 Winner's Song, be choosing their favorite song of the ones they've previously performed. Gee, I wonder which one Archuleta will pick? He'd be a fool not to do imagine. And Cook will probably do Billy Jean (though I'd like to see him do Lionel Richie's "Hello"). They better choose carefully and sing well, instead of dragging their asses like this past week.

Then, on Wednesday's 15 hour live results show, a bunch of irrelevant people will perform more shiteous songs. Ruben will be there singing "Celebrate Me Home", almost as though there are 3 people in the world who like that song and who care that Ruben still has a music, um, I guess you'd call it "career"? Whatever, moving right along. I'm sure all the top 12 will sing a group song a la High School Musical, maybe even some of the top 24 will be there. Jordin Sparks will probably sing assuming her vocal chords are back on par. I'm sure there will be at least 1 non-Idol-alumni performance, possibly Jesse McCartney, since he's the only person I could find who has an album being released next week. I'm sure there will be someone "shocking", someone really famous, but that will probably remain a secret until they grace the stage. Yawn. AI is getting pretty predictable.

It's going to be a close call, but a this point the producers seem to be gunning for a David Cook win, and that's probably what we'll see.
Don't get me wrong, David Cook should win. He's the rightful winner. He's got it all. But really, in the grand scheme of things, would he be better off winning? Or would he be better off losing? I hate seeing someone win AI when they don't deserve it, like Taylor Hicks coming in 1st when Katherine McPhee & Chris Daughtry went home. I know it turned out for the best for Daughtry, but it still pissed me off a bit that Hicks won the popularity contest. If Cook wins, he'll have to make an album of sugar-coated pop songs, which might ruin his credibility altogether. But if he loses, he'll be signed by a record label, wait 18mts as per the Idol contract, then records and releases what will probably be a completely awesome album that he has creative control over. That seems like a better idea to me, but the deal is pretty much sealed now. I'm hoping the Idol thing doesn't mar his image and overshadow his talent.

Anyway, I guess we'll see next week.

No comments: